Monday 1 October 2018

Shadows of Commorragh - part 3

Around the titanic central spires of the Dark City are the trading districts of the old Eldar empire. The lowliest of ports was once an architectural masterpiece millennia ago, but the ravages of civil war have not been kind. Low Commorragh now consists of a mixture of shattered ruins and scavenged former glories. Numerous dilapidated fortress complexes and barter-ports now spread out in every direction. The lesser Kabals riddle the extremities of the angular black spires with opportunistic growth. The labyrinthine depths of the outer zones are so congested that a traveller could travel for months on end without so much as a glimpse of a stolen sun. Many areas that have been twisted beyond recognition by the tremendous upheaval of the Fall are haunted by scavengers and spectres. Within the pitch-black catacombs of Low Commorragh there lurks far larger and uglier creatures than the Dark Eldar, for they are prowled by the lost, and the feral thrive there.
I'm struggling to come up with a "concept" for Commorragh scenery that I can build for our planned campaign. I've been sketching stuff but most of it comes out as either unbuildable, or unstorable, or unplayable!

I want to make at least some of it from GW kits - Numinous Occulum, Ophidian Archway, Ruins of Osgiliath, Arcane Ruins, Azyrite Ruins, Eldritch Ruins, Barbed Venomgorse, Shardwrack Spines. The rest will probably have to be a mix of foamcore card and plasticard. I want it to be multi-level, with lots of playable surfaces. Most of all I want to to replicate the nightmare realm of Low Commorragh that I have in my head!


~ 🜟 ~

We plan on using Kill Team rules but with a handful of house rules to allow us to use more than just Wyches and Kabalites. There are so many troop types in the Drukahri codex that we want to be able to include! 

I've been picking away at my warband for the campaign, in the background while working on other projects. The two latest "completed" models for the Wych band (I say "completed" as they may get a bit more work before I varnish them). Not great photos as I took them in a hurry this morning.


Izurad


Yariaq

More are on the way...

5 comments:

  1. I have been thinking about DE terrain for quite a while now (and will get to it eventually):

    - Expensive, but anything but the main engine part of old Raiders and Ravagers is probably great for DE terrain.
    - I am sure you could turn the Webway portal sideways and have it surround a big sheet of Plasticard, creating relatively big platforms to play on.
    - You could also use the front parts of old DE bikes to create a forest of floating cylindrical spiky things (and replace them with the canopy's you will have left over when building new Reavers, therefore giving you bike models still, and more uniform ones at that).
    - You could incorporate that bowl of blood staircase model from the Dark Elves if you leave the wheels off.

    Very excited to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All cool ideas: I'll add them to the mix :D
      Thanks Squig!

      Delete
  2. I've been thinking about DE Terrain as well since your first Shadows post got my mind on them. I haven't messed around with it yet, but I recently got a foam cutter that has an element that can be bent. I'm hoping that, instead of the sharp corner they showed in the pics, I can manage a gentle curve. If it works, that should hopefully let me get some more suitable shapes from insulation foam. The fact that the Drukhari aesthetic relies so heavily on curved surfaces makes a lot of the usual standbys like MDF far less practical here.

    Your Warriors are looking good so far. I haven't got around to posting anything about them, but I snagged a set of Hellions that was missing a few parts really cheaply over the summer, and I've got them built up, but not painted. I look forward to seeing what else you include.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great plan! The curved surfaces are so integral to the Drikhari "look". Let me know if you do a test piece, I may have to steal ideas ;-)

      Thanks WestRider!

      Delete
    2. Will do. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

      Delete