Tuesday 7 May 2019

The Graveroot Wargrove, Part 4

In the darkness of the forest the silence was broken by the high-pitched laughter of Moonclan Gitz. Their cackling could be heard for miles. The crashing noises, from the Rockgut Troggoth that accompanied them, carried nearly as far. They capered and scuttled through the Harrowmark forests around their Dankwood lurklair in the wake of the Troggoth as it ploughed through the dead undergrowth, forming a trampled pathway with brute-force and ignorance.

A shadow beneath a tree flickered and moved slightly.

None of the grots noticed.

The dark shape re-appeared beneath a different tree, close to the grot at the back of the procession. The unlucky grot barely made any noise as he disappeared into the shadows.

The next grot made a small muffled squeak as he was taken. The grot ahead of him turned round to see why and froze in his tracks as he saw there was no-one behind him. His eyes widened with terror as an arm reached out and grabbed him, and clamped over his mouth. He didn't make a sound as the enchanted blade slit his throat.

Then the trees around the remaining dozen Moonclan exploded into movement. Arrows slammed into the grots and a dozen aethereal reaper's scythes lashed at the Trog, who pitched forward into a briar with a crash and laid still. The grots panicked and screamed, fleeing in all directions. Glaives and swords flashed through the air and quickly cut them down as they ran.

The darkness of the forest was silent again.

~ 🙐 ~

Even though I told myself I wouldn't, I picked up the Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault warband Ylthari's Guardians last week. The forthcoming Looncurse box has made me return to thinking about (and working on) my Harrowmark Sylvanth skirmish force, and since that box includes a lot of Tree-Revenants I felt like adding these lovely and unique models to my wargrove. Unlike my previous Underworlds warbands I will not be keeping them as the named characters from Underworlds. I will be using them as characters I am creating.

I kept the animal-skull theme that I started with my Kurnoth Hunter and Branchwych and replaced all of their heads. They are already nearly painted, in the same scheme as the others, but with an extra wash of Coelia Greenshade over their hair.

Daturast - Tree-Revenant with Protector Glaive
Lycianthes - Tree-Revenant with Enchanted Greatblade

Mandragora - Tree-Revenant with Revenant Bow
Nyghtshade - Thornwych with Briar Staff


No comments:

Post a Comment