Monday 4 March 2019

Grimdark Cards Challenge

The #GrimdarkCards challenge was started on Instagram by Ross (theendsoftheearthart) and there are a few hundred people taking part now!

To take part in the challenge, you have to send Ross a DM and he will draw a random Dark Millenium card for you. You have to try and reproduce the card's John Blanch art, in miniature form.

I got the 10 of Mechanicus:


My attempt is Gamma-Delta-Mu-10, the Datasmith of a lost Tor. I have been thinking of him as an NPC for the next Tor Megiddo campaign, and he has made the cogs start turning (I know, I know! Sorry.) in my head for a story we could use as the basis of the campaign's narrative...









The only thing I bought to make my entry was the Delaque kit (but I wanted some anyway for other projects), the rest of the parts I used were already in my bits box, left over from other things. This build used a Delaque legs and torso, Cawl's arms, Datasmith head, Skitarii backpack, Devastator Servoskull.

8 comments:

  1. Your entry really turned out amazing. A subtle conversion to create your interpretation. I also love the style you've painted his robe. I guess you're right on the Tor Megiddo point. I think his appearance would fit perfectly in this scenario. I saw it on Instagram before, but i really prefer a blog for this kind of information ;-).

    For myself I really enjoyed this challange and looking forward to see all the other great builds and conversions at its end.

    Rock on and best regards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I love Instagram and I totally agree with you. Blogs are so much more suited to exploring ideas in detail.

      #GrimdarkCards is such a great initiative. I don't think Ross thought it would be so huge!

      I'm also loving seeing all the work people are producing for it. I like that some peiple have already started on a second card.

      Delete
  2. Great work! I think the Datasmith head is what really sells the conversion, and then the "fiery" paint job on the robe really brings home the Blanchian vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WestRider - I knew it would be the paintjob that "sold" this model as the kitbash was really simple. I took my time with it was a result and I'm glad I did.

      Delete
  3. Oh I like that, very nice!
    I'm not familiar with the datasmith model, where is that from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The Datasmith comes with the Kastelan Robots. I think this card was actually based on him (But it might be the other way round...)

      Delete
  4. This is a fantastic conversion and I really love the red of his robes. The GrimDarkCards challenge has been great. I had a lot of fun making my figure and it's been wonderful seeing all the different interpretations people have been creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shade! I love that so many people jumped it. The work produced has been truly phenomenal.

      Delete