Wednesday 20 March 2019

Ferrugo Pass: Tor Megiddo - part 3

Baltaten Actus Pho - The Rustking of Ferrugo Pass


Servos groaned and whined as they moved the heavy door from where it had stood closed for decades. Diagonal beams of sunlight illuminated the orange dust that dry winds swirled through the open doorway.

The sound of distorted vox-chatter, a mix of static, binharic cant and low gothic, accompanied the clatter of metal feet uplon metal gratings. A small group of ParaSkitarii filed out of the doorway and into the daylight for the first time in many years. They scanned the horizon for signs of movement and unusual energy readings. When they were satisfied their leader keyed a rune on his augmetic mask and transmitted a code.

The towering form of the Rustking scuttled out onto the balcony and looked out across the desert from his vantage point, high in the tower that topped the immense Tor, known as The Cauldron. A mobile exploration, drilling and pumping platform the size of a city, that slowly lumbered across the sands of the Ferrugo Pass.

+++

I've had the Belisarius Cawl model in a draw for a long time now. I have gone through a few different vague"plans" for what I would do with the kit but the combination of Ferrugo Pass on the horizon and actually finding his assembly instructions again (I thought I had lost them, or thrown them away by accident!) spurred me on to get moving with this idea.

I have stripped him back a little by leaving off the servo-skulls, the more delicate mechadendrites and several other technological attachments. I trimmed off the large cog-crest from his back and I haven't used the book he normally rests one mechanical foot on (I have other plans for that!), I found a girder from the old Sector Imperialis scenery fitted perfectly in the space left by the book.

I used Cawl's arms on the Datasmith I made for the Grimdark Cards Challenge, but that was okay as I wanted the Rustking to look a little more techno-barbarian anyway. I trimmed the shoulders of two Necromunda Goliath arms, carrying an oversize wrench and an axe, so they would slip inside his armoured upper-shoulders.

There is still a bit of cleaning up to do, and I plan on adding a fair bit of texture paints that will hide some of the joins.

(Edit: For this idea, a debt is owed to Kristian's Scrap Queen.)




The two "ParaSkitarii" are not very original - I've seen a lot of other people do this - they were made from Necromunda Cawdor gangers with Skitarii parts added. 

The first one was just a hand-swap for one holding an Arc Pistol. I swapped the staff-top for part of a leftover Poxwalker weapon, I wanted it to look like a primitive Arc Maul.

The second one was given a skitarii Galvanic Rifle - I cut down the arm at his right shoulder to fit under the Cawdor cowl. I cut off the cowl on his left shoulder to attach the Skitarii arm - I will greenstuff some cowl back to blend it in.


They are fiddly to make but I love how they looks so I'm planning to make a few more soon!

10 comments:

  1. The Rustking is great so far and the Goliath arms are perfect ffor this!

    Even if I have seen a lot of these Cawdor / Skitarii conversions these are really nice. Espacially the one with the Poxwalker staff. Somehow this simple conversion looks so natural and I really, really like it! You did a great job and, by the way, your ParaSkitarii don't appear converted at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate! A conversion doesn't look converted has got to be the best result I can ever hope for! =D

      Delete
  2. Oh I'm liking this, great work chap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I love the way the Goliath arms work on Cawl. Might have to do something similar, since I have his kit, but no real intention of using him. And yeah, the ParaSkitarii may not be complex or original concepts, but they came out looking great, and that's the most important thing as far as I'm concerned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WestRider. I'd like to see your take on it!

      Yeah, I feel the same. I guess I will make them my own with the colour scheme (that will match the rest of Anomaly Protocol).

      Delete
  4. I have that kit too,haven't built it yet because I don't know how to convert it yet,I have so many Mechanicum parts hmmm!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a madly complex kit but it builds really nicely!

      Delete