Wednesday 30 January 2019

The Mushloonz - part 5 - Spiker

Xorg the Spiker clicked and hissed to himself as he scuttled through the Dankwood. The poison-bottles in the basket lashed to his back clinked together as his swaying gait moved them around. His bare feet pattered over the gloomy forest floor, between gnarled tree roots and clusters of fungus. Thin beams of pallid moonlight managed to break through the tangled bowers overhead and illuminated the winding pathways. Shrouds of thick cobwebs hung from the branches and nameless things squirmed and writhed in the shadows.

It felt like home!

He had heard rumours of a growing lurklair in the midst of this dark corner of the forest, and that a Fungoid Cave Shaman was gathering a warband. A gathering of Gloomspite Gitz meant one thing to him: customers!

- 🍄 -




Some close-in shots of details. I struggled with the glass bottles as I looked at a lot of very, very good still-life paintings that included wine bottles during my art degree. So my expectation of what a glass bottle should look like is probably unrealistic at 28mm scale!


I tried something different with his skin this time: Elysian Green basecoat, lightly dry-brushed with Pallid Wych Flesh, then washed with Athonian Camoshade. So quick and easy: It ends up looking exactly the same as the Gitz I painted with a lot more steps!


8 comments:

  1. You continue to make the hobby great Saul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Warbosskurgan! I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for all the amazing and inspiring stuff! Back in the Boring Mordheim Forum days I remember you posting all those awesome looking pirates and ever since I´ve admired your work. Good to see that you´re still in the hobby, I´m following your blog from now on :) Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Tom, I really appreciate it. I'm still obsessed with Orruk Pirates ;-)

      Delete
  3. Excellent! I was going to mention the bottles, they were the first thing that caught my eye, and I thought they looked fantastic.

    Now that he's painted, his elongated head is reminding me of aliens from somewhere. Futurama, maybe? I can totally hear just how he talks, too. Great job bringing him to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you WestRider! Pleased to hear that.

      I love that you can imagine how he talks too. =D

      Delete