Tuesday 11 October 2022

Gallowdark, part 2

I absolutely churned out the first 7 tiles for my Gallowdark scenery project but then I stalled a little on it. I shifted gear to a "quick" (ha!) Warcry scenery project - I built and painted 3 Wyldwood trees for a new campaign - and I struggled to shift back into the right gear for Gallowdark scenery.

Partly this was due to being unsure about the colour scheme I wanted to use for the project, and partly it was down to the large amount time that adding the small details and texture to each tile took, compared to the small amount time it took to assemble the large components for each one.



Add all the little bits of junk into the "gutters" around the walkways and walls took longer than I expected (maybe I am being too fussy about what goes where?). Then getting the texture paste into them in a way that doesn't cover them completely and looks believable also took a while (and of course both these steps need a lot of drying time between).



Once the first tile was detailed and textured I undercoated it black and zenithal-sprayed it grey. Mainly to make sure it looked okay!

I think it does, so I carried on going with the detailing and texturing.






For the paint scheme, I wanted a small splash of colour on each tile that was fairly bright and striking, that tied the different tiles together to make them feel like one "place", while still keeping the overall industrial/spaceship feel.

After a lot of thought, chats on Instagram about colours other people had used on their scenery, paint tests, and no small amount of Google image-searches, I settled on the idea of painting all the Sector Mechanicus pipes, cylinders and storage tanks in Sybarite Green, washed with Athonian Camoshade and then lots of chipping effects, under a few layers of filth and weathering.


So far this is Sybarite Green, washed with Athonian Camoshade and then stippled with a 60/40 Sybarite Green/White Scar mix.



Chipping and first layer of rust/filth one. Pretty pleased so far!

As I was happy with the colour scheme and process I started painting two more tiles: both 3x3, one crossroads, one T-junction.


These are the 3 paint-in-progress tiles together, before I started the "filth wash" stage on the 3x3 tiles:



Chipping going on and brown washes next!


I also started work on making the Necromunda / KT Rogue Trader doors I have wider, so they fit the 60mm wide doorways. I only have six doors, so I will have to source more at some point.

+++

There is obviously still lots to do on the project, but I'm getting into the swing of painting them now.

4 comments:

  1. I've been running into similar issues with a few projects of late. It's so much quicker and easier to block in the big elements than to get all the little bits right, but it's the little bits that really sell it in the end. Best of luck staying motivated to keep plugging away at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WestRider - the struggle is real! It doesn't help that we are playing a Warcry campaign and I keep wanting to work on things for that. (It is SUCH a good game!) There is a piratical Weirdnob Shaman on my desk right now...

      But luckily there is enough noise about space hulks online that I do keep drifting back to this project. For example: I spent this morning (at work ;) contemplating Necromunda scenery dimensions and eBay prices...

      Delete
  2. Oh man, this is looking really good. I don't envy you painting all those details but you can console yourself with all the fun weathering that will come later on.
    It's coming together very nicely though so keep at it,it'll be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate!
      My plan, at least to start with, is not to paint all the details! I will go back and give each tile a second pass, but I don't want to get too bogged-down and stall the project.

      Delete