Tuesday 30 March 2021

Animosity III - The Prime Dominion, part 3


I finished the first piece of scenery for my Hysh board and I have pre-ordered the Shrine Luminor, so I'll soon be able to start work on more pieces.

The whole piece was spray undercoated black, then zenithal basecoated grey (both Halfords matt primer rattlecans). I dry-brushed the plastic parts with Ushabti Bone.

For the ruins I basecoated them with Karak Stone, dry-brushed Ushabti Bone, then washed the whole thing with a mix of 10 parts Contrast Medium, 1 part Ultramarines Blue and 5 parts Aethermatic Blue. When the Contrast paint was completely dry I lightly dry-brushed Ushabti Bone a second time. The areas that had pooled with too much blue then got a focused wash of very thin Karak Stone, so the blue still just about showed through the Karak Stone, but much less intensely.

The gold details were basecoated with Retributor Armour, washed with Agrax Earthshade and dry-brushed with Stormhost Silver.

The tohnasai tree trunk was painted with Gore-Grunta Brown Contrast and lightly dry-brushed Ushabti Bone again. The rocks were just washed with Nuln Oil.

I went for an "early Autumn" look on the foliage: a Wraithbone basecoat, followed by a coat of Nazdreg Yellow Contrast, then a coat of Militarum Green Contrast. It gives a nice brownie-green colour that works with my Autumnal Warcry board but still looks green enough to feel like Hysh and not The Harrowmark. I also used "Scorched Grass" static grass to finish it off, instead of my normal "Dead Grass", to add to the slightly-less-deathly look.








No comments:

Post a Comment