Wednesday 12 September 2018

Endless Spells of the Harrowmark - part 4

The Aethervoid Pendulum

Sweeping suddenly into existence like a grim reaper’s blade, the Aethervoid Pendulum cuts through armour, flesh, and even the fabric of the realms themselves with equal ease. With a dread invocation, the fabric of reality is torn by the swinging blade of one of the legendary Aethervoid Pendulums, it slices into the realm as if from nowhere, eviscerating everything in its path. A single pass of the pendulum’s blade is enough to decimate enemy ranks, sending out gory showers of severed limbs and decapitated heads as it swings.

~ ⦽ ~

I'm really pleased with how the spirits appear to be "riding" it and how the blade seems to be solidifying from the aether at the cutting edge or dissolving into it at the tail.











All three so far:


4 comments:

  1. Another great addition to the collection! Seeing all three of them together there really drives home how strongly you've tied them to your setting.

    The Aethervoid Pendulum is one of the few that I have no idea what I want to do with. I'm sure something will come up eventually, but for now, it's just sitting in a box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WestRider.
      It was high on my list to make but I had no idea how to paint it, so it was low in the paint-queue! Coming up with the idea of painting some of the "metal" parts look the same as the aether-flames meant I suddenly knew how to do it and I moved it up the queue straight away.

      Delete
    2. Honestly, for all of these, I think it's really the transitions that sell them, whether that's spell form into aether, spell form into wood, or aether into wood. They'd "fall apart" visually if there were sharper transitions there, being too clearly a number of separate things.

      Delete
    3. I agree. I've never really been good at getting those transitions right in the past, so I have avoided trying. But these are pushing me out of my comfort zone and I feel like I'm getting a bit better at it as a result! =D

      Delete