Monday, 11 December 2017

Mutant Mechanicus - part 9

The Sumpcrawler

The Sumpcrawler was once an Onager Dunecrawler, but it has been so heavily repaired with Sector Mechanicus parts and junk that it is barely recognisable. It clanks, groans, clatters, hisses and rattles as it moves. It’s auto-senses tick and whirr as it scans its surroundings and assesses targets and threat levels, it emits the occasional mechanical beep when it reaches a decision.







(Bits list: The twin Heavy Phosphor Blaster, Cognis Heavy Stubber,vents or exhausts and legs are from the Onager kit. The armour plates on 3 of it's legs are from the Ogor Ironblaster/Scraplauncher kit. I used a Sector Mechanicus “Alchomite Stack” external tank instead of the Onagar hull, with some "scrap metal" armour plates from the Ork Stompa. The strange electrical-looking protrusion on it's left hull is a leg from a Imperial Bastion's Icarus-pattern lascannon.  The “loincloth” banner is made up of an Orruk Boyz banner overlaid by a Beastman Gor banner. The purity seals and scrolls come from a wide selection of AoS Empire / Freeguild and 40k Imperial kits. The single "robot eye" in the top-middle of the hull is made from an Ork Trukk headlight. The base is covered in "scrap" from my scenery bits box. I also added a skull or two from the Citadel Skulls box to the hull and the base.)



9 comments:

  1. Looks great and fits right in with the rest of the band!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really great stuff here, I'm really interested in knowing the painting steps as I think it looks especially good because of the paintjob, dark and muted but still easy to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Asslessman!

      I undercoated it with Chaos Black spray then sprayed some semi-random areas of Mournfang Brown (hopefully the brown will add to their general worn-out, rusty and dirty appearance). Then I did a zenithal pre-shade grey spray (using Halfords grey car primer).

      I drybrushed Ushabti Bone very lightly all over, concentrating on the hard edges. Then washed Nuln Oil all over a couple of times, allowing the first coat to dry before applying the second.

      Then I washed very diluted Mournfang Brown (about 90% water!) over some areas to create a buildup of rust and filth.

      Delete
    2. the diluted mournfang brown is a firm favourite for rust and filth as well, I like the sound of your recipe, thanks a lot !

      Delete
  3. Lovely modeling. The look of the warband is amazing. You've managed to radically reinvent most models in the Mechanicus line while maintaining an easily identifiable look for the army/warband. Hats off to you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Merijn!

      I wanted to make a playable "mutant" warband and only chose Adeptus Mechanicus as the framework as it had big stompy robots! I've grown to love them more and more as I got further into the project.

      Making it easy for my opponent to work out which unit is which was part of the fun though. :D

      Delete
  4. I really like the teetering height your conversion gives this piece. It makes it very distinct and horrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris! (Sorry I missed this comment)

      Delete