Saturday 6 July 2019

The Graveroot Wargrove, Part 10

I have finished painting 2 more Tree-Revenants: Brochdras and Wythreal.

This was my first tentative experiment with Contrast Paints, the blue parts and skulls of both and the wood parts of Wythreal were done with them. Brochdras' wooden parts were painted the same way I have done the other models in this warband (zenithal sprays, dry-brushing and washes). I couldn't quite bring myself to leave the contrast-only finish and added white highlights to the blue and Ushabti Bone to the skulls.






4 comments:

  1. I think I actually like the wood on Wythreal a little better, but I think that's more a matter of the specific shade of brown it ended up with than anything due to the Contrast as such. They both came out great, tho, and yeah, nothing wrong with going an extra way beyond what Contrast can do. It's one more tool, not a pure replacement for whatever you were doing before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. There is something about that dark brown, even though it "reads" as black normally, when you put it next to the Contrast black it looks warmer. The contrast black (over a Grey Seer undercoat at least) is definitely colder.

      Totally agree about Contrast being an extra tool though. I would never have considered replacing everything else, to use it alone.

      Delete
  2. I saw these go up on your IG (I think, that or TGA) and was pretty torn on which wood I like better. What was the process for Wythreal's Contrast-y wood? Is it actually the black, not a dark dark brown??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wythreal's bark was Black Templar over Grey Seer with a very light drybrush of Ushabti Bone.

      Delete