Tuesday 9 July 2019

Shadows of Commorragh - part 13

It's been a long time since I have posted anything about this project but we have decided to start playing this nearly-all-Drukhari narrative Kill Team campaign in the second half of August! So: Back to working on the Low Commorragh scenery for Shadows of Commorragh, after too long a break. 

~ 🜾 ~

First up is 6 of these 3D printed webway gates. These all have "ground level" basing. The other 6 I have will have dark green tiles to match the upper levels of the board I'm making (more on that in a minute). 

They were sprayed with a Chaos Black undercoat, then a zenithal basecoat of Mechanicus Standard Grey, then a careful spray of Grey Seer on the "inside" of each gate. 

I used Aethermatic Blue (Contrast Paint) over the Grey Seer, then edge-highlighted that with white. The back of each gate was painted the same way as the rest of my Commorragh scenery: Incubi Darkness base, highlighted with Kabalite Green then Sybarite Green. I didn't dry-brush them though as the texture of the 3D print would be too visible!

The bases were washed with Nuln Oil and dry-brushed with Ushabti Bone.



~ 🜾 ~

I had planned to make the boards for this campaign but I haven't been able to get hold of the materials I wanted to use at an affordable price, So I took the easy (and, it seems, less expensive) way out and ordered a Deep Cut Studio mousepad style 4x4 Gotham mat. This was the closest match I could find for the scenery I had already made and the look I wanted for the board.

~ 🜾 ~

Next up was some more Drukhari scenery elements, made from TT Combat laser-cut MDF "Space Elf" kits and some 3D printing filament spools I was given. this is the "watch tower".


I used a "leg" from the landing platform to make a Drukhari "power vane" thingy.


This larger "landing platform" will also get a power vane, as well as a lot of Aeldari wreckage.

(This is what is underneath, you can't really see it in the photo above.)


Rob (Wailslake) gave me some scenery kits last week - some more Ruins of  Osgiliath among them. I have started adding Drukhari wreckage to them as well.



~ 🜾 ~

While looking through the things I have set aside for this scenery I found two Finecast Medusae heads and some Dark Elf chariot crew models that Lee (BlessedKnight) gave me. I had no idea what they were going to be until I found them and then it just clicked.
The Medusae are unusual creatures, even in a place like Commorragh. They are highly empathic parasites that look like a collection of brains and spinal cords one atop another, and they float through the ether like jellyfish, feeding on daydreams and nightmares. A Medusae will often latch onto a host creature, which they will enslave to their will, enabling them access to realspace. While they retain most of their original appearance, the host will develop a single deadly eye, which will be covered by a heavy steel visor. When this visor is lifted, the Medusae will paralyse those under its gaze with a wave of raw anguish, plunging them into a coma from which there is no recovery.
The GW model has its hands chained up and when I found the Raider(?) passenger arm holding a chain it seemed to fit. Then I found I had some Blood Bowl Dark Elf arms left over, still on the sprue, so they got empty hands. 

I think they will be NPCs for the Shadows campaign.


(Bloody cat hair! It gets everywhere...)


~ 🜾 ~

I hope to get all this scenery, and maybe even a few more elements, finished by mid August at the latest. Lots and lots to do!

2 comments:

  1. The Aethermatic blue works wonderfully on the insides there. The rest is coming along nicely as well. I like the Medusae conversions*, and the TT Combat stuff is always solid.

    *I think that arm with the chain might actually be from a Hellion. Not sure, tho, I'm still not hugely familiar with the Drukhari line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WestRider - I think Aethermatic is my new favourite colour ;-)

      It could be! It was in a box of assorted bits I was given a few years ago, so there was a lot of guesswork and no research in my statement...

      Delete