Friday 27 April 2018

The Ironfang Pirate Fleet, part 37: The Rotmoon - a Harrowmark skyvessel.

The Rotmoon was an orruk pirate ship: A small, fast wooden skyvessel with no guns. It had lots of crudely cobbled-together repairs to its hull, since the shipwreck in the Harrowmark, its bottom was covered in barnacles and weed, its deck was covered in filth and its sides were loaded with baggage. It had a row of red and yellow triangular “dags” painted along its sides.


My version (above) of a detail from the background of the Voodoo Forest series sketch by John Blanche (below).


I bought an aquarium shipwreck from eBay that came in two halves and I started "repairing" it using Goblin Town platforms from GW's The Hobbit scenery range.















~ 🕱 ~

A few days later I got another chance to work on The Rotmoon. I added a figurehead (from a box of bits I was given by a friend - I think it's from the old Forge World Landship kit!) and replaced the dowelling mast with an old paint brush, after Magnus from Utopiaztudioz suggested it.





I added some baggage (mostly from Ogor kits) and started the process of adding some filth patches with Typhus Corrosion technical paint.











The figurehead's shield got a little extra detail - an orruky moon glyph (from the Ork Nobz kit).



The Rotmoon with Kommodor Deffgit for scale!

There is still a lot to do but I hope this will be a fairly quick project as I want to get it onto the table in our current AoS Skirmish campaign!

~ 🕱 ~

These are a couple of much older sky ship sketches. One with the Wortbad Skydock...



And one to show the Citadel Wood flying base I plan to use on all my Harrowmark flying pirate ships.

4 comments:

  1. Nice! Very Orruky, and excellent use of those Goblin Town platforms. I really like the idea of the tree for the flying stand, too. Look forward to seeing how that comes out. Actually, might have to borrow that idea at some point, but nothing I currently have going would work with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WestRider! Feel free to borrow the idea. I have never been a fan of clear flying bases as they always look wrong to my eyes. Using scenery as the support can also look odd but I think it generally looks less odd. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Great work, dude! Can't wait to see it at full sail, terrorising humble farmers and menacing innocent villagers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate!
      Ooohhh, that gives me an idea for a fun game! (Starts looking for bits to build peasants....)

      Delete