Tuesday 18 December 2018

The Harrowmark Tarot - part 1

A Warhammer-themed tarot deck (and specifically a pirate Orruk-themed one) is a project I have wanted to do for a number of years, but I have always hesitated to start as I have never been sure about the "look" or of my ability to make it convincing. But this week something went ping in my head and I knew how I wanted them to look. I realised that making a deck that could have been created by someone who lives in the Harrowmark would unify the themes I use, as well as inspire the images on each card. They have to be drawn from the point of view of a Harrowmark orruk shaman.

The malignant forests of the Harrowmark, the death-centric culture of Shyish, and the orruk sky-pirates (that I have an obvious bias toward!) will all form the basis of the choice of imagery. There is also a secondary benefit: this theme adds a bit more depth to my home-brew setting!


Major Arcana:


0 - The Fool (Sigmar!)
I - The Magician (or maybe The Necromancer)
II - The High Priestess (possibly the Briar Queen?)
III - The Empress (Lady Olynder)
IV - The Emperor (Nagash himself!)
V - The Hierophant (maybe a Priest of Morr-Nagash?)
VI - The Lovers (The Court of Spades)
VII - The Black Coach
VIII - Strength (a wild boar)
IX - The Hermit (a Skull-Bird)
X - Wheel of Fortune (a "wheel" torture device)
XI - Justice (unbalanced scales, with a boney finger pressing one side down!)
XII - The Hanged Man
XIII - Death (a Knight of Shrouds)
XIV - Temperance (The Forest)
XV - The Daemon (a Bloodletter)
XVI - The Tower (Freebooter’s Tower)
XVII - The Star (the Azyr symbol on a twelve-pointed sun)
XVIII - The Moon (The Rotmoon / Bad Moon)
XIX - The Sun (The Ogre-sun)
XX - Judgement (Angels of Death with trumpets)
XXI - The World (The Mortal Realms)

Minor Arcana:


Clubs (clubs!), Skulls (diamonds), Scythes (spades), Time - hourglasses (hearts)

This is probably going to be a slow-burn project... there is a lot to do!

9 comments: