Thursday 9 February 2023

The Ironfang Pirate Fleet - The Swordfyshes, part 8

I have talked about making these 5 models in a previous post so I won't go over it again, but in summary they are: a Brute Boss I built from a few eBay'd bits and some left-over parts; and the first 4 out of 10 Ardboys, converted from WH40K Ork Beast Snagga Boyz.

+++

I realised during painting that I have attached the Brute Boss's metal jaw too low, so you can see more of the inside of his mouth that you are supposed to be able to - including the fact he has no bottom teeth. This probably won't ever be noticeable to anyone else but it annoys the heck out of me.

Maybe I'll say he had the metal jaw fitted because all his jaw was hit and his teeth were smashed-in so badly they wouldn't regrow? Loosing teeth permanently would probably be terrible blow to an orruk Boss's social standing, if left un-repaired! Yeah, that's it.

Grapnul Gog
Lost a large proportion of his lower jaw when a Kharadron ship's cannon blasted the side of the face at close range. Survived against the odds and commissioned a metal jaw to replace his missing teef.






+++

The hardest part of painting the new Ardboys on the crew was deciding what colour to paint the animal skins they wear! They are a lovely weird mix of furs and reptilian scales and spikes, and I love the idea they all come from one type of beastie. Maybe even all from a single, very large, furry reptilian beastie!

Eventually I settled on a dark blue with a hint of green - Ultramarines Blue and Akhelian Green Contrast paints, mixed together at roughly a 6:1 ratio. I say roughly as I used a slightly different ratio for each model, probably ranging between 4:1 and 8:1, but I don't think you can tell from the photos!

+++

Wearing the iron-hard skins of the toughest beastie they ever fought, the Ardboys of the Swordfysh are just as heavily armoured as their landlubber cousins, but much more stylish.


Belay Bazod
A berserker by anyone's standards. The rest of the crew are happy to let him be the first to go over the gunwales in a boarding action. And they fully expect him not to survive each time, but somehow he has always seemed to do so.





Kazok Trunnel
Impetuous and quick to anger, Kazok gets into almost as many fights with his shipmates as he does with the enemy.





Orlop Durg
Says he lost an eye and part of his skull in a fight against a great beast, but he can't remember what the beast was. Often can’t remember what he was doing a few minutes ago.





Kragdag Stay
Considers himself quite the swashbuckling swordsman. Wildly overconfident.





+++


The new Ardboyz exploring some ruins with their Deck Boss, Docker Goff, who recruited them to the crew.

2 comments:

  1. These look great!
    I love how Grapnul has a badly fitting replacement jaw, it just seems so appropriate and in keeping with Orruks.
    You're getting very proficient sculpting their hats, I might have to give it a go myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary!
      I might be coming to terms with the jaw-plate. I wasn't happy to begin with. =(

      I think I might be able to sculpt a pirate orruk hat with my eyes closed now, I've made so many! (but I am not going to test that claim!! =P )

      Delete