Monday 19 December 2022

The Road to Warhammer Fest 2023 - part 2, Themed Warcry Dashboard


Another item on the list checked off!

I spent a few days trying to plan a Warcry Dashboard. My original idea had been to buy one and decorate it, but the few I've seen that were available commercially (in MDF or Perspex) always seem to be laid-out wrong to my eyes.

The White Dwarf dashboard was okay, but I wanted one extra space each for Doubles, Triples and Quads. I know they won't get used often but it would have annoyed me if I hadn't included them and they turned up in a game!


After several iterations I had I boiled my thoughts down to something I was happy with, so I put a fresh blade in my scalpel and spent 40 minutes measuring and cutting foamboard.


Then another 10 minutes painting text for the labels (that was a bit pointless, as they will be covered by later steps!).

I was satisfied with the layout so I glued the two layers of foamboard together. Then played with some dice...


Each space is a multiple of 17mm, so that a 16mm dice will pop in and out easily without sliding around or being held too tight.

Next stage; giving it some character!


A day or two later I marked out where the spaces would go on some heavy paper (that I had already stained with tea and dried). I wrote in the labels then drew a map around the text.


I carefully cut each space out (one at a time so I didn't mix them up!) and glue-stick'd each one inside the right slot before cutting the next.


Then I realised the broken up map was a bit "noisy", so I painted Agrax Earthshade onto the islands to make them stand out better.

+++

I really enjoyed making this, even if it was a little out of my comfort zone. I rarely measure/cut anything this accurately!

4 comments:

  1. What a (nother) wonderful creation!
    You make it look so simple but I imagine measuring it all out and then cutting up your artwork was rather nerve-racking?
    Stunning work fella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary.
      Yeah, I was so nervous! As I mentioned I am not used to needing to be as millimetre-perfect as this needed and I had a very strong feeling of "only one chance or start again!" hanging over me. I probably could have got away with being much sloppier as it turns out 😅

      Delete
  2. So smart to make this out of foamboard! Definitely stealing that. Looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Thalenchar! I really like working with foamboard. It's light, easy to cut and glue and surprisingly resilient if you are reasonably careful. I use it as the base fir almost all my scenery. It seemed perfectly natural to use it for this too!

      Delete