Monday 14 February 2022

"Overboard" the shipwreck Rogue Idol - part 2


Somewhere, deep in the woods of the Harrowmark, the parts of half a dozen shipwrecks stirred and took on a life of their own - timbers, sailcloth, rigging, anchors, chains and even the remains of several their former cargos were drawn together (maybe under the influence of the nearby pirate orruk's Waaagh! energy) in a storm of flotsam and jetsam. The pieces of timber rolled toward one-another: A Rogue Idol, that the orruk pirates would later call "Overboard", started to assemble itself.

This walking shipwreck-creature was treated as an idol by other ship's crews. The pirate orruks followed it into battle with a joyous fury and reveled in the destruction the Rogue Wreck wreaked!

+++

This was such a fun project! It took a week to build and another 10 days to paint. I considered adding a lot more colour to the timbers (in the form of chipped and weathered paint that the original ships might have had) but in the end I decided to stick to a fairly simple greenish-grey rotting wood look. I am pleased with the oxidised bronze of the cannon though.




1,000 points of pirate orruks Big Waaagh!

Kaptain Mogrum, a Weirdnob Shaman.
Da Baron, a Savage Big Boss.
Lost Uzzog, a Wardokk.
The Cleavermaws, two mobs of 10 Savage Orruks.
Overboard, a Rogue Idol

Comes to 995 points.



While chatting about this little(!) warband with Viktor I did a rough count of all the pirate orruks I have painted so far and it turns out I can field an army of almost 3,500 points!

6 comments:

  1. I love this! It's more than worth every hour you've poured into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate! Agreed, totally worthwhile, and as a bonus I have loved every minute of it.

      Delete
  2. Amazing model, great idea and execution!
    Also makes sense lore-wise that rogue idols are not always made from boulders, but from any stuff that lies around when enough Waaagh energy gathers.
    Makes me think of rouge idols themed after the realm they exist in - lava idols in Aqshy, bone idols in Ghur, etc.
    Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Snapfit!
      Yes! That's a really good point - I'd love to see lava and bone Rogue Idols and maybe gravestone Idols from Shyish...

      Delete
  3. Nice! Glad you linked back to it, because I would have totally missed it otherwise, and it's a fantastic model! I like how much variety you managed to get on the tones of the wood, like they came from a bunch of different sources and had been sitting around wrecked for different amounts of time, and the verdigrised bronze came out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks WestRider - I think it came together so quickly there wasn't really time for a lot of people to even notice I had started it! I was hit by a flash of inspiration, had parts to hand, and hyper-focused on it for a short but very productive period!

      Delete